Compiled by Barb Ward from past Innovative Connections blogs
The end of the year is always a time for reflection, so as we were contemplating the topic for our 2023 holiday blog, we began looking through some of the other blogs we’ve posted throughout the years. What we found was a virtual time capsule. Here are a few of the gems from years ago that still ring true today:
- We can all be successful. Too often in our society, we step over each other in the hopes that it will help us “get ahead”. Yet, our evolutionary survival has always been contingent upon supporting one another through cooperation and collaboration. The premise that for me to win, you must lose is simply not true. We can all be successful. There is room and space for everyone to show up and do their best.
- The fears others project DO NOT need to become our reality. All we need is belief in ourselves and a little courage and we can achieve anything.
- Positive or negative? It’s up to you. There is a great deal of research emerging about the neuroscience of emotion. The underpinning of this data is that when we engage in positive or negative thinking, we are actually rewiring and reforming neurological connections in our brains. As such, the more positive you are, the more positive you will become, and vice versa. That said, as we are inundated with countless negative messages every day, it becomes even more critical that we continue to intentionally create positivity and hope for ourselves and others. There was a poem I read as a child; Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.” ― Lao Tzu
- Out of great adversity comes great strength. When we use courage, embrace our core values, and take time to reflect, we can manage uncertainty, overcome unprecedented challenges, and emerge full of hope and resilience.
- Celebrating what’s right in the world gives us purpose.
- Find beauty in what surrounds us.
- Seek meaning in the mundane.
- Love life for everything it has to offer.
- Know and trust in something bigger than ourselves.
- Be grateful for the little things.
- What do you wish to celebrate in this moment?
- Our experiences shape our perspectives. We touch people’s lives. Every day, we have experiences with others. These experiences shape us, change us, and sometimes alter the entire path of our lives. They profoundly impact our perception, and our actions and affect the core of who we are.
- The sense of meaning and purpose—of doing worthwhile work and making a difference—can make all the difference for employees. Creating a company culture that embraces this deeply felt sense of meaning and purpose can:
- Increase engagement
- Deepen fulfillment
- Enhance creativity and innovation
- Increase employee resilience and change hardiness
- Reduce turnover
- Propel the organization’s success
- Being socially aware could be our key to success. By understanding the needs, values, and interests of those around us, we can motivate and encourage others, and manage conflict in both our personal and professional lives. It takes effort to build our skills in these areas, but the results are worth it.
- Sometimes a little fear is just what we need. We can be brave and afraid at the same time, but when we evoke the courage to act, we soar beyond our fears. These are the moments when we look back and realize that our fear served as a catalyst for some of our greatest moments.
- Showing staff appreciation can stem the tide of employee turnover. Showing staff appreciation and gratefulness for their contributions is a simple thing, and it can make all the difference in whether employees are satisfied and committed to their jobs, or whether they begin seeking other employment opportunities.
As you wrap up 2023 and look to what 2024 will bring, we hope these time capsule gems will help you reflect on your year: what you’ve done well, and where you’d like to make some changes.
As we do the same, we want you to know how grateful we are for our families, and friends, and for all the wonderful clients who have allowed us to be part of their 2023 journey. We are deeply honored to walk this path with you.
If you’ve just happened upon our site, we are organizational effectiveness consultants who can provide tools and resources to help you solve these and other difficult organizational and leadership challenges. We offer a diverse range of professional coaching services, leadership development training, strategy sessions, and customizable programs to meet your needs. If any of this sounds interesting to you, contact us for a no-obligation, free consultation by clicking this link: Innovative Connections or calling us at 970-279-3330.
Our mission is to give voice and action to an emerging future. As a partner in your success, we would love to help you find your voice, see your vision, and imagine what the right action could be for you, your team, and your organization.